Welcome to The NRCME Training Institute
Our Department of Transportation (DOT) accredited National Registry Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) training program exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Upon completion of our self-paced online program, participants will have instant access to their personalized and dated Certificate of Completion, which is the document required to register for an account with the DOT and to sit for the Medical Examiner national examination to become certified to perform commercial driver license (CDL) examinations on commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers for 10 years in all the states they are licensed to practice in and do so independent of MD/DO supervision.
The DOT FMCSA National Registry was developed to improve highway safety and driver health by requiring that Medical Examiners be trained and certified to determine effectively whether a CMV driver’s health meets the FMCSA standards. Our program will educate providers about the FMCSA medical standards for CMV drivers and prepare them to pass the national examination.
Our updated 8-10 hour training program consists of 11 self-paced reading courses and 11 quizzes, followed by a 50 question Final Test that participants can take as often as necessary.
Same Day Certificate
Participants have instant access to their Certificate of Completion after passing our Final Test.
Extended Program Access
Participants receive 2 years of unlimited access to our online classroom from any smart device.
Proprietary study materials are included and available after passing our Final Test and include a Study and Reference Guide, a Pre-test Review, and over 500 practice questions, all to prepare providers to sit for the NRCME certification examination.
Our accredited DOT training program provides up to 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 10 ANCC contact hours.
We offer telephone consulting with our medical advisory team for questions regarding certification issues, both during and after training. Providers can contact us by email or by telephone at (941) 600-8411, 9 am-9 pm EST 7/365.
Optional audio lectures of our program are included and available as MP3 files that can be downloaded and played on smart devices.
NRCME Report Newsletter
Participants will receive 4 published editions of The NRCME Report, a newsletter discussing NRCME regulations and industry related news and editorials, a $99 value.
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations and guidelines.
1. Verify your eligibility and enroll in our program to obtain your Certificate of Completion. Interested parties can also verify their eligibility by completing the first page of the DOT registration process: Click here to verify.
2. Once you complete our program, register for a certified Medical Examiner (ME) account with the DOT using your Certificate of Completion. The DOT will automatically issue and email you a 10-digit National Registry number, also known as an eligibility number, and then the DOT will verify your medical credentials (the verification process can take 1 to 3 weeks). Click here to register with the DOT.
3. Once you have been verified, schedule the in-person $79 NRCME examination using your National Registry certification number, with either a PSI or Prometric testing company. If you cannot schedule the exam using your registry number, then you have not been verified by the DOT yet. To locate testing centers near you, visit Google Maps and search for “PSI Testing” or “Prometric Testing”. Most testing centers are open six days a week. Read our blog entry About the NRCME Exam
On the day you sit for the national exam, you will need:
1. Your printed Certificate of Completion (or display your certificate on your smartphone if you forget to bring it with you).
2. A valid state issued photo ID, where your name matches your Certificate of Completion.
3. A copy of your medical license.
Once the DOT has received and processed your passing exam score from the testing company, you will receive an email from the DOT with an official certificate indicating your status as a certified Medical Examiner listed on the National Registry who can perform CDL examinations on commercial motor vehicle drivers (which can take 1 to 3 weeks).
More than 3 weeks: If it has been more than 3 weeks since you applied for your National Registry number and cannot schedule the national exam, or more than 3 weeks since you passed the national exam and have not received your final certificate from the DOT, then contact the DOT directly at FMCTECHSUP@dot.gov (recommended) or by telephone at (617) 494-3003.
Join the more than 14,000 providers nationwide who have taken our DOT certification training program in preparation to sit for the national exam to become a certified Medical Examiner.
We offer a full refund within 30 days of your enrollment date if you decide not to become certified and have not completed our program.
© 2021. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grant permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).