Welcome to The NRCME Training Institute
Our Department of Transportation (DOT) accredited NRCME training program exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Upon completion of our program, participants will have instant access to their personalized and dated Certificate of Completion, which is the document required to register for an account with the DOT and to sit for the $79 Medical Examiner national examination to become certified to perform Commercial Driver License (CDL) examinations on commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers for 10 years.
The DOT FMCSA National Registry was developed to improve highway safety and driver health by requiring that medical examiners be trained and certified to determine effectively whether a CMV driver’s health meets the FMCSA standards. Our program will educate providers about the FMCSA medical standards for CMV drivers and prepare them to sit for and pass the national examination.
Our 2021 updated 8-10 hour training program consists of 11 self-paced reading courses and 11 quizzes, followed by a 50 question Final Test that participants can take as often as necessary.
Same Day Certificate
Participants have instant access to their Certificate of Completion at the end of the program.
Extended Program Access
Participants receive 2 years of unlimited access to our online classroom from any smart device.
Proprietary study materials are included and available after course completion and include a Study and Reference Guide, a Pre-test Review, and over 500 practice questions, all to prepare medical providers to sit for the NRCME (National Registry Certified Medical Examiners) certification examination.
Our accredited DOT training program provides up to 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 10 ANCC contact hours.
We offer telephone consulting with our medical advisory team for questions regarding certification issues, both during and after training. Providers can contact us by email or by telephone at (941) 600-8411, 9 am-9 pm EST 7/365.
Optional audio lectures of our program are included and available as MP3 files that can be downloaded to smart devices.
NRCME Report Newsletter
Participants will receive 4 published editions of the NRCME Report, a newsletter discussing NRCME regulations and industry related news and editorials, a $99 value.
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations and guidelines.
1. Enroll in and complete our program to obtain your personalized and dated Certificate of Completion.
2. Once you pass our program, you will register for a certified Medical Examiner account with the DOT using the Certificate of Completion provided by this program. The DOT will issue you a 10-digit National Registry number and will verify your medical credentials (which can take 1 to 3 weeks).
3. Schedule the in-person $79 NRCME examination using your National Registry certification number, with either a PSI or Prometric testing company. To locate testing centers near you, visit Google Maps and search for “PSI Testing Center” or “Prometric Testing Center”. Testing centers are generally open six days a week at most locations. Read our blog entry About the NRCME Exam
The day you sit for the national exam, you will need:
1. Printed Certificate of Completion (or display your certificate on your smartphone if you forget to bring your printed certificate).
2. A valid state issued photo ID, where your name matches your Certificate of Completion.
3. A copy of your medical license.
Once the DOT has received and processed your passing exam score from the testing company, you will receive an email from the DOT with an official certificate indicating your status as a certified Medical Examiner (ME) listed on the National Registry who can perform CDL examinations on commercial motor vehicle drivers (which can take 1 to 3 weeks).
More than 3 weeks: If it has been more than 3 weeks since you applied for your National Registry number and cannot schedule the national exam, or more than 3 weeks since you passed the national exam and have not received your final certificate from the DOT, then contact the DOT directly at FMCTECHSUP@dot.gov (recommended) or by telephone at (617) 494-3003.
Click here to enroll in our program to become a certified Medical Examiner.
Join the more than 14,000 providers nationwide who have taken our DOT certification training program in preparation to sit for the national exam to become a certified Medical Examiner.
We offer a full refund within 30 days of your enrollment date if you decide not to become certified and have not completed our program.
© 2021. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grant permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).